Thursday, June 24, 2010

Cascade Memories: Lewis And Clark Presentation

(Note: 30th post! 20 more until I reach the big 5-0!) One of THE most memorable memories that none of you will forget was in the 7th grade in Ms. Brook's class. She had us assigned a mini research project (as a warm-up for the CBA) where we chose a specific topic to research, make a poster, and write an essay/oral speech to the audience about what we rearched about that topic. I chose the Lewis and Clark expedition as my topic for research. Over the next several weeks, I managed to gather my info, wrote my speech, and then worked on the poster. The research part was hard enough. But while I was trying to make my poster, I kinda rushed and just slapped the pictures on. It was pretty ugly to say the least, but with a little help from my Mom, I had the whole poster redone, and wrapped in a plastic garbage bag to be preserved in mint condition (this explains why I make awesome posters). And on time too. Ms. Brooks had us present for two days, and I went up during the second day. I was in the middle part of the presentations. As I was called up (since Ms. Brooks would just call on us randomly) I had a plan to present in a way no one else presented before. I had practiced the night before, and I thought in my mind that I better hope that practice truly made perfect. Once I started, I just...Went to the flow. I spoke loud, clear, and I also tried to manipulate my facial expressions for good measure. Then I unveiled my secret weapon: using my hands, I used varouis gestures to illustrate certain events and immerse them into greater detail. When I was done, everyone was speechless. At the end of the day, Ms. Brooks congratulated me as I was given the honor of having the best presentation (and poster) from the whole class. And that was it. That wass the day I realized my potential to speak strongly and passionately on things that I would care for. And because of the events that transpired onb that day, I knew that my speechspeaking skills will serve me well in the future. And come 8th grade year, it did...

No comments:

Post a Comment